Home Before & After Inspiration DIY About MeConsultation Fab & Frugal

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hand Painted Limestone Vanity Top

Wow, this was fun! And I promise it literally only took 30/45 minutes to complete...no joke!!


Ta da!!!














The look of real stone without the price!
Okay, so the trick to creating a faux stone finish is layering, layering, layering. Layering paints of various colors in order to achieve that random beauty that is only found in nature.
I started out gathering my supplies. Acrylic paints in Ecru, Titanium White, Burnt Umber, and Iridescent Gold. I also added in some of the base color that I used in the cabinet project. My brush...I use a regular old angled paint brush. I like the large pattern and rich textured finish it creates. I am not a huge fan of using a sponge. You can use one if you make sure that it does not look like a sponge treatment. *Tip* The smaller the brush the smaller the pattern and vice versa.

I also had a stone tile on hand that I used as a reference when doing my project.

Start off by applying the Ecru Acrylic paint in a random pattern covering the surface completely. I call the technique that I use the "pounce and twist." Start off by pressing down with your brush like this...








Then twist and lift...


End in this position...








I repeated this process with the base cabinet color, burnt umber and iridescent gold in a very sporadic and sparse manner. I then topped everything with Titanium white. At this point, you begin to see the stone take shape...

I topped everything with another sporadic layer of the ecru acrylic paint and the finish it off with 4 coats of Polyurethane(yes 4). *Tip* Make sure the Poly dries completely between coats:)








Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment