Home Before & After Inspiration DIY About MeConsultation Fab & Frugal

Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's All Coming Together...

For those of you that have been following my Outdoor Space renovation, we have made great strides. Not to say that it has been a straight shot...sometimes you just have to change direction. Have you ever found that perfect piece for such an amazing price that it was just too good to pass up? That is where I'm at. I found this piece for my Outdoor Space renovation on Craigslist for a STEAL! I'm still riding the "bargain shoppers high" and may be for some time:) The problem is that it really doesn't fit with any of my inspiration rooms. When I was plannig my space renovation, I was thinking budget. budget. budget. Never did I think that I would find a piece like this within my budget. But I did...happy dance!!! So back to the drawing board we go. What does this piece say to you? To me, it says cool breezes, seaside living and the taste of salt on my lips. It evokes images of cedar shake homes with the gray patina of age. So... Coastal Living, here I come.
I perused the pages of a Coastal Living that I had from a few years back and saw a lot of crisp, clean blues and whites complimented beautifully with woven seagrass and abaca pieces like this. Very nautical...not at all what I was planning, but I like it. I like it a lot. And what's even better is that it is totally different from anything that I have in my home. But there's nothing that I hate more than the obvious when it comes to design. Great design is 50% aesthetic and 50% feeling. In other words, you don't achieve a coastal design by hanging a Captain's wheel on the wall and putting out a bowl of seashells. Do you know what I'm saying? Have you ever walked into a room like that? It's as if the home owner is telling you what you should think and feel about the space. Good design is unspoken. You walk in the room and you feel it. No one thing jumps out and defines the space. The space is defined as a whole. Everything working together cohesively to give you "that" feeling when you step into the space. No words, no captain's wheel, just cool breezes and salty lips...THAT is my challenge.

Not to say that those things don't have their place, just not in this case.

Loving my new rooms that inspire...

Stripes are quintessential for Coastal design. I also love the shutters, but not sure that is feasible in our space.











I love the hand painted patina on these wood pieces...











Ahhhh...makes me want to kick off my flip flops and put up my sandy feet! Can't you just taste the salt?:)











I have already found a few pieces to go in the room and I have a fab and frugal idea for coffee tables! Can't wait to share it with you:)
See you tomorrow,

No comments:

Post a Comment